Life from the Porch

It was that time of the evening when things grow both restless and weary.  The sun had dipped below the horizon, just enough light remaining to make out the forms of a couple of bicycles strewn across a lawn down the road, abandoned by children called in to supper.

Their house is dark but for the faint glow from the front window, the activity and the movement all in the back of the house, where the kitchens were typically found. The children have no doubt that the bikes will still be there in the morning, not yet versed in the duplicity of man, those raised to simply take without effort that which they have not earned.

Let them enjoy this idyllic time, the days of doubts and of cold, dark nights would come soon enough.
It's an older area, some of the houses a hundred years old, many of the families composed of the children and grandchildren of immigrants from Central Europe and Ireland. The homes are small,  meticulously maintained, most with porches. There are no burglar alarm signs, no bars on the doors.  The Catholic church, which many of the families in the neighborhood belong to, is within an easy walk.

Porch is derived from the Greek word portico and the Roman word poiticus, both meaning the columned entry to a classical temple.The porches here are much less stately, but there are no less important. There is more than one American flag that hangs from them, proud symbols of a nation born into or adopted as ones own. There are an equal number of yard gnomes and Virgin Mary statues, both often bearing the same swatches of fresh color.

The houses themselves are grey, white, brown or brick, no trendy Victorian doll house colors, no urban renewal shades of  yuppie reclamation.  The houses and porches are the shades of time and shadow and quiet murmured voices gathered between columns, as if time and breath had made them all one quiet color, a hushed vestibule where all is forgiven.
It's a quiet town crime wise and the few police know a lot of the residents. Partner and I had stopped at a store on the town square, I electing to stay in the car while he ran in.  While he was inside, bored, I looked in my purse.  There was some nail polish I used to put a fresh dot on my front sight.  I decided to paint my nails.  The smell was strong, I open the car door, not realizing the alarm was on.  BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP, flash flash flash flash flash, there in the middle of the village. We could only laugh about what would inevitably happen around here in such a small  central place. . . 

Officer Friendly : "So, do you know this woman?".

 Partner: " No, she just broke into my car to paint her nails".

 Me:  "Seriously, I  know his girlfriend, she's actually sane".

Much laughter about it, small moments in a small town where everyone knows one another, and the porch lights are usually on as a welcome.

You rarely see porches any more, except for old historical and artsy neighborhoods in the city, farm communities and the occasional vacation cottages.  Most suburban  houses any more are monopoly game house squares of plastic and cheap lumber and wasted spaced.  What wood is there is usually laminate, the walls not thick enough to withstand a really good storm or the thump of a neighbors bass played too loud. They look OK now, but I can't imagine what it will take to sustain them 100 years from now.  But they are big  and "New!" with three car garages full of a lot of things that aren't paid for yet, the neighbors house so close you can't swing a tax assessor without whacking it.
But there are few porches. With the invention of air conditioning, and the growth of the "subdivision", porches fell into disfavor. People come home, turn on the television, turn on the video games, draw the blinds, their view of the world that which comes through on the TV, losing imperceptibly their sense of the outside, of the world beyond a news anchor.

Porches reflect the personality of their owners, warm and inviting, playful, classic, a sense of fun or a closed silent front to the street, those dark old houses that as kids we whispered about at Halloween, hesitant to ring the doorbell should bats fly out of the rafters.

The porch were an additional room, just just a covered entryway to a home.  In my grandparents day, families would escape the heat of the home and the kitchen when summer came, breathless and sultry.  Children played quietly on the wooden steps while adults sipped on tea and shared the stories of their city, their world, the words of their experience and not simply what was reach across an anonymous screen.  Young adults courted, fell in love, and started their own lives, their own families, on other porches, likely not more than a few miles away.  There was a sameness to it, a safe continuity, an opening with each other and their world.

Some porches were screened, "sleeping porches" an idea dating back a hundred years where families could sleep in the coolness of the night air without being bothered by insects.  Mom's relished the escape from the kitchen where the flurry of motion was not breeze, the kids treating it like some exotic camp out, whose imaginations running wild with the sounds of the night while adults contrived some coolness from the motion of wind, the scent of flowers on the wind perhaps taking them back to their own courtship.
My Dad had such a porch in their first house, one that looked upon a wide open world.  He also had a pump action shotgun in the closet just inside the door, ready to defend it if the world turned on its ear.  Open does not mean naive, and the bonding of family in such places, also increases that will to protect. It took him a  Great War and the loss of a wife and a child to fully realize the taste and savor of peace and he was not going to give it up easily.

He never had to use that firearm for the purpose, the only time people around there even locked their cars doors in his little town was in zucchini season when neighbors would dump off unwanted bags of the prolific veggies on porches, front seats and milk boxes. But he had a love for his country and family as sincere as his own unfeigned and honest soul.  Both of those meant to him what God means to a believer and if they were threatened he would not hesitate to pick up his truth and ready his sights.
Dad was proud when I bought my first home all on my own.  But I don't miss it at all, that big, crowded subdivision house, with rooms with no personality, and a front facade as closed off as most people are to the world, and to one another. I bought it thinking as many young professionals do, that this is how I'm supposed to live, I go to college, get a job, work a few years, buy a house bigger than I want, have a family, and retire to a gold watch and stay home and watch game shows until the final answer is death.  Now I look at people living like that and can't help but think of horses, penned and standing, but asleep.

 But back then, I thought it was what I wanted because everyone told me that is what I wanted.  So I stood in that house the first week I owned it and felt like a stranger in a place where people's reaction to the customary  was different than what I'd assumed as frankly, my house was a perfect carbon copy of every other house (no one dare incurring the wrath of the housing association by painting their front door Winchester Repeating Arms Red). Colleagues gushed about  my 20 foot entryway (make sure you don't look at it in the light so you can't see how crappy the drywall work is), the fancy roof (done by the labor of those I'm certain were not legal laborers) and the plastic, cheap fixtures that had all the personality of a Stepford wife.
So when I moved in, more from curiosity than welcoming, the neighbors wandered over to meet the new neighbor and too exclaimed over the beauty of the mundane, many likely going home to their flat empty spaces, shutting the blinds, fearful to the discovery of what lies behind the cheap construction that makes up a life. Perhaps we all have different perceptions of what is beautiful, people lobbying the word about so loosely, beautiful carpeting, beautiful dog, what a beautiful election speech, so when truly face to face with the beauty that is form and truth, they cannot recognize it.

I never really fit in. I didn't have a husband, or even an ex, an SUV and kids.  I came and went at odd hours, sometimes gone for days at a time.  I had no desire to go to Zumba or Yoda or whatever they called those exercise classes the women went to in their designer yoga pants.  I didn't want to flirt with their husbands and when the guy two doors down banged on my door one night when I was sleeping about joining "Neighborhood Watch" I simply handed him one of my targets with the heart and brain blown out and closed the door.

I just wasted meant for modern suburbia.
When I moved to take a fairly big promotion, I sold it, happily.  It was like my first boat, I was so elated when I bought it and so very very happy when I waved to it as it drove away behind anothers' truck.

I'm now sitting  in a small place, one bedroom, a bath and and sort of a half  with some more plumbing work, an office and writing den where the second bedroom would be, built in wood bookshelves and wood beams a hundred plus years old, wood that has been polished and cared for by several generations and will be maintained long after I sit here for the last time. People would look at it and think it odd I am so happy when I am here, without the excess trappings of consumption, happy to have shop space, room for a little garden and plenty of  storage downstairs. It's not fancy, but it's a welcome rest stop in a days journey that is equal technology and mayhem.
And it has a porch.

I had my very first Mint Julep on this porch, I got to know the neighbors down the road, I know who is sick, who needs help with shoveling snow due to an injury or age. We don't socialize but we're social, hard working people that simply want to pull their own weight, keep their family safe, and live our lives based on what we know is to be right, not what we are told is best for us.

I'm sitting on the porch, the sound of a  neighbor's mower from a distance, the comforting sound of someone I know working close by, another neighbor across the way answers the door to someone bearing a covered dish, with exclamations about ham and potato salad, an offering of food perhaps for someone in the house that was ill.
Barkley was sitting on the porch with us, when there was a rush of movement at 10 o'clock moving  to 2 o'clock.  He shoots off the porch, and down the long steps, barking in a manner I've only heard him bark once or twice in my life, nipping at the heals of a young man in dark pants and hoodie, running past.

It was not run as in I'm late and I'm going to get grounded or I am going to try out for track, but the fleeting steps of one wishing to be gone before detection in an area he clearly didn't live in, dirt flying from beneath his fleeing feet.
Barkley, who suffers joggers, skateboards, the neighbor with the annoying remote controlled car and kids of all ages and sizes on bikes, nearly nailed him, as he ran even faster past those teeth, probably wetting his pants as 100 pounds of muscle and bark came out of the dark at him, determined to keep that motion of ill intent away from his people.

Barkley was on a zip line with a harness to stop him without hurting him, so he could not make chase past the driveway, but it startled us all.

Fifteen minutes later a cop car cruised passed.  Someone had broken into a car, for the stereo, there in that quiet place. There'd been a couple cars hit  locally, though the perp was likely long gone. For that night, I'd go on back inside and  leave the porch light on overnight, but I was not going to live my life hiding. What I have here is not fancy but it is beautiful to me, it is truth.  Those are not words I use trivially, by so doing, so easily, depriving them of not just their force, but their dignity.  What I have here, what is contained in these walls, is not just antiques and old firearms, books and old tools, but that which lives and breathes, I too will protect.

Cities sprawl out to the suburbs, which sprawl out to small towns and villages, bringing with it crime and change.  Nothing remains the same, and wishing for the past often means just wishing for the best parts of it, which isn't always the reality of it.  So, like my father, I still have a means of defense within easy reach.  But I'd not trade this life for a fancy McMansion with shuttered windows and a houseful of things of which the possession  impresses only the shallow.  I'd rather live simply, looking at my world head on, not shuttered and hidden inside, standing firm on a hundred year old porch, under the shadow of an American flag.

- Brigid
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...